Shreveport Gum Disease Treatment
Gum diseases are quite common and can be a major cause of tooth loss and poor oral health. Getting your gums checked regularly can eliminate the potential risk of gum diseases like periodontitis and gingivitis.
Our dental office offers treatment options that cleanse your gums and help avoid future infection. Our Shreveport dentists have everything you need to maintain a smile that is both healthy and clean.
Causes & Symptoms of Gum Disease
The most common causes of gum disease are:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Diseases such as diabetes
- Poor nutrition
- Tobacco use
In the early stages of gum disease, pain is typically not noticeable, so it’s common for some patients to be unaware that anything is wrong. For this reason, it’s important to understand potential causes and warning signs so you can protect yourself from further damage.
Common signs and symptoms of gum disease include:
- Bleeding gums while brushing: Gums should never bleed, even when using dental floss
- Loose teeth: Caused by weakened periodontal fibers
- Pus around teeth and gums: This could be a sign of infection
- New spacing between teeth: Caused by bone loss
- Tenderness or discomfort: Caused by plaque
- Persistent bad breath: Caused by infection or bacteria in the mouth
Serving the Shreveport Area for Over 30 Years
If gum diseases are left untreated, they can progress into worsening symptoms that can spread underneath the gum line and affect deeper structures of the bone. If you think you may have gum disease, our dentists at Sterling Dental Center can examine and diagnose the issue, and then discuss possible treatment options.
“Extremely clean, staff was very welcoming”- Kristen C.
“I enjoyed being there”- Marilyn B.
“Hands down the best dentist”- Erin E.