Shreveport Wisdom Tooth Extractions
Effective General Dental Services
Wisdom tooth extractions are one of the most common dental procedures patients undergo at our office. The safest way to remove wisdom teeth is by having an experienced professional use trusted techniques and advanced equipment. At Sterling Dental Center, we have been performing successful and effective wisdom tooth extractions for over 30 years.
Do I Need My Wisdom Teeth Removed?
A wisdom tooth extraction may be necessary if it begins to impact surrounding teeth, resulting in breaks, root fractures, and overcrowding. The point of the procedure is to remove one or all of the wisdom teeth to reduce any possible risk of infection or another serious oral issue.
The most common signs it’s time for a wisdom tooth extraction include:
- Persistent Pain – If you feel pain when eating or brushing, your wisdom teeth may be coming in sideways or misaligned.
- Crooked teeth – Wisdom teeth can cause other teeth to move and shift over, resulting impossible damage when they start breaking through the gum line.
- Sensitive gums – If your wisdom teeth emerge in an awkward way, the tissue around the tooth can become extremely sensitive and painful.
What Are the Benefits of Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Wisdom tooth extraction, the removal of third molars located at the back of the mouth, offers several benefits:
Prevention of Impacted Teeth: Wisdom teeth often don't have enough space to fully emerge, leading to impacted teeth. Impacted wisdom teeth can cause pain, infection, and damage to adjacent teeth. Extracting them prevents potential complications.
Reduction of Dental Crowding: Wisdom teeth can exert pressure on adjacent teeth, leading to crowding and misalignment. Removing wisdom teeth can help preserve the alignment of existing teeth and prevent the need for orthodontic treatment.
Prevention of Tooth Decay and Gum Disease: Wisdom teeth are challenging to clean properly due to their location at the back of the mouth. Inadequate cleaning can result in tooth decay, gum disease, and infections. Extracting wisdom teeth reduces the risk of these oral health issues.
Alleviation of Pain and Discomfort: Wisdom teeth that are partially erupted or impacted can cause significant pain, discomfort, and swelling. Extracting them can provide relief from these symptoms and improve overall oral health.
Preservation of Oral Health: Wisdom teeth are prone to developing problems over time, such as cysts, tumors, or infections. Removing them helps preserve long-term oral health and minimizes the risk of future complications.
Preventive Measure: In some cases, even if wisdom teeth are not causing immediate problems, their extraction may be recommended as a preventive measure. This approach helps avoid potential issues that may arise later and simplifies the extraction process, as younger patients tend to have faster healing and fewer complications.
It's important to consult with our Shreveport dentist to determine whether wisdom tooth extraction is necessary in your specific case. Our team will evaluate the position and condition of your wisdom teeth and provide personalized recommendations based on your oral health needs.
How Are Wisdom Teeth Removed?
The wisdom teeth removal process typically involves the following steps.
- First, the dentist or oral surgeon will administer local anesthesia to numb the area around the tooth or may offer additional sedation options for patient comfort.
- Then, an incision is made in the gum tissue to access the wisdom tooth. If necessary, a small amount of bone surrounding the tooth may be removed to facilitate extraction. The tooth is gently loosened using specialized tools and may be divided into sections for easier removal.
- Once the tooth is extracted, the extraction site is cleaned, and stitches may be placed if needed.
- After the procedure, the patient is given instructions on post-operative care, including pain management and proper oral hygiene practices to aid in healing.
Schedule a Free Consultation
If you think you may qualify as a candidate for wisdom tooth extraction, or need any other general dentistry questions answered, we’ll walk you through the diagnosis and all possible treatment options, so you know exactly what to expect. Our dentists are committed to providing personalized dental care that is both convenient and effective.
“Extremely clean, staff was very welcoming”- Kristen C.
“I enjoyed being there”- Marilyn B.
“Hands down the best dentist”- Erin E.